P.S. Go over to Burgh Baby's place for what she's calling the Biggest One Day Contest EVER for chances to win some pretty cool prizes. She's donating extra money for clicking around her blog to the Flight 93 Memorial Fund. How cool is she? Now go over there and do some clickin'! : )
Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Monday, September 29, 2008
Apparently, I do.
Let me rewind here a little and say that I bought this apron at Crate & Barrel "many moons ago" (phrase borrowed from my apron-wearing mother). I have never worn it. Ok, maybe once. I just don't think to put an apron on before I start cooking/baking.
On Saturday... I wore that thing for like 3 hours.
I had two lasagnas to make (one for a friend who just had a baby and one for us and some friends for dinner) and a few other chores to do. And, since I had JUST showered and put on nice, clean clothes when I started my cooking, I didn't want to get them dirty. It was then that it occured to me that somewhere I had possession of a nifty thing called an apron! Thankfully it didn't take long to hunt it down.
And now - I will be wearing it ALL. THE. TIME.
I mean I could wipe my hands all over it while I was cooking and didn't have to worry about getting anything on my clothes! : )
It has pockets so if I wanted to grab something and put it in there (rag, spice, spatula!) I could!
And guess what - my clothes didn't get dirty!! Genius!
All hail the apron inventor, whoever they may be (wikipedia doesn't tell me).
Anyway, once the food was in the oven, I needed to do some house cleaning and that is when I found myself pushing the vacuum while doning my apron. My old but newly beloved apron.
So now that I love them I need more than one right? And guess where I went to look for some (any good blogger should know the answer) - ETSY!
One of the first ones I found was this one. Now that is a cute apron people.
Unfortunately the title says "Everyday Housewife Apron" and let's be perfectly clear here: I am NOT an "everyday housewife" so perhaps it's not for me. (although it still may be...)
Also, there are A LOT, A LOT of aprons on Etsy so... I had to narrow it down somehow. I decided I prefer the ones that cover both the top and bottom (messy when I cook) and here is one I am seriously considering. So cute and great price!
Yeah so I spent
Oh, and I am working on getting out of that funk I was in and I have to say it's going pretty well. I've been exercising (running even!), doing some of that retail "therapy,"(obviously - see above!) cooking, praying and eating some chocolate (works every time!). About the only thing I haven't managed yet is more sleep. What can I say, I'm a night owl.
And also, let me say "Thanks" to everyone who comments here - you also help to lift me up and that is worth SO much...
Sunday, September 28, 2008
Friday, September 26, 2008
It was comment #15 and here is what she Mrs. Staff Sgt. said:
You know what's funny? I was considering ordering birth announcements from them anyway come November :) They sure are cute!
She's due with a baby girl in November and I know she will find some great announcements since they have so many cute choices! Thanks to all who entered and congrats to the winner!
*Scroll down for Today's Post...
Now of course I am going to show you everything that I was lucky enough to receive but first I have to share with you an email exchange and part of the aforementioned note from McMommy.
Snippet of email from Elaine to McMommy:
Oh and I just wanted to let you know that a certain 4-year old helped me “wrap” the items so that’s why they are a little funny looking! ; )
Snippet of email response from McMommy to Elaine:
Elaine, you are going to DIE LAUGHING OF IRONY when you read what I wrote to you.I can't reveal anything else.......just you'll see. OMG, now I can't wait!!!! This is going to be the longest couple days of my life. I can't stop laughing!!!! And I can't even tell you why!!!
Snippet of first paragraph (after some really sweet salutations!) from McMommy's note included in package:
I apologize that it looks like Matty & Carter wrapped your gifts. (Shoot! Why did I just admit I wrapped them?! I could have just said right from the start 'My precious little boys wrapped each of your gifts with love! Aren't they just so cute?' and there was nothing you could have said about the hideous wrapping job at that point other than, 'AWW! They did a good job for a 4 year old and an 18 month old?' Geez. Sometimes I need to think better on my feet.)
Ok, so can I just tell y'all how funny I think this is because here's the pic of what she sent before I unwrapped it all:
Hello people, how cute is this?? Yeah, you shoulda seen what hers looked like (McMommy I don't know if you have received your stuff yet but if you haven't please accept MY apologies, really!)Anyway, now that I have already shared too much, here are the items that were in those cutely wrapped packages.
1. The Boy Next Door by Meg Cabot. I don't read a lot of books but I WILL be reading this one. An entire book in email format. How cool is that?
2. Two note pads, one for the fridge that says "When I get tired of shopping I sit down and try on shoes!" and another for my purse that says "High maintenance doesn't begin to cover it." (p.s. I also sent her a similar note pad for the fridge! great minds...)
3 & 4. Halloween candy corn garland & a spider dish. I was just thinking about how I don't have enough Halloween decor. Thank you!!
5. Sweets! Sour patch kids (LOVE THEM!), Starburst, Cadbury chocolate and Trident. It's ALL good!
6. The latest issue of First magazine. Which will be read from cover to cover.
Thank you McMommy! You are a wonderful swap partner and you are SO right, we must find a way to meet the next time you mosey on over to Texas! : )
Thursday, September 25, 2008
1. Do you eat breakfast every day?
2. How many times in a row do you wear jeans before washing them (if they don't get too dirty of course!)
3. What's your favorite holiday and why?
4. Do you hide certain foods that YOU like from you kids so that they don't get any?
5. Which celebrity would you most like to meet?
6. Do you shower at night or in the morning?
7. Do you clip coupons?
8. What's your favorite beverage these days?
9. Have you ever had to break into your own house like me?
10. Do you untie your shoes before you take them off?
Here are my answers:
1. YES! Must have at least a bowl of cereal.
2. Usually 2 to 3
3. Mine is probably Thanksgiving because there are no presents to fret about, not TOO much candy and stuff for the kids and, it's all about the PIE baby !! (well and some turkey too) Although it may be a tie with Easter because well, you know, there's lot's of chocolate then...
4. Yep! : )
5. Matt Damon. Love. Him.
6. Usually in the morning.
7. Not regularly but I just signed up to get the Sunday paper so that will change.
8. Non-alcoholic - Propel water. Alcoholic (no, I'm not one...) - red wine.
10. It depends on how
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
For more Wordless Wednesdays go here. For more Wordful Wednesdays go here!
Go here to win some moolah to Tiny Prints! Giveaway ends tomorrow night!
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Let's just say there's been a little crying around here in the past few
(and apparently I am going to put quotes around the last word of every paragraph).
I don't want to have a pity party or anything so I have come up with a few ways to help clear the fog and hopefully move back into my "happy zone."
(uh - there "they" are again...)
1. Retail therapy. While the kids are at school today I plan to find some new Fall-ish decor items for my house. I am armed with coupons and sale flyers to a couple of places. New pretties for the house always cheer me up.
2. Chocolate. Enough said.
3. Working out. (I know this doesn't really go along with #2 but bear with me). I had forgotten what it's like, that feeling you get after working out. There really is something to be said for endorphins. Too bad it doesn't last longer...
4. Cooking. I do like to cook things from scratch. I haven't been cooking very much lately. I haven't really wanted to for whatever reason. So today (also planning on going grocery shopping) I hope to gather the goodies to cook some decent meals again.
5. Sleeping. I've promised myself I will go to bed earlier this week. If this one works out it will be a miracle but I really do need my 7 to 8 hours and it's been a while...
6. Having lunch (kid-less) with a friend. This is the plan on Thursday. It's going to be a little surreal because it's usually us AND our kids, but since our kids are in the same pre-school we're going out by ourselves! WOO HOO!
7. Maybe a pedi after lunch? Yeah.... that sounds good! : )
8. Prayer. Never underestimate the power.
9. Less time worrying, more time taking it all in.
10. Some more chocolate.
Stay tuned for possible updates on how my Ten-Point plan works out...
Also, if you have yet to put a comment here for the giveaway I am doing get to it!
Monday, September 22, 2008
I met two special people yesterday. My friend Jodie's new baby Isaac Luke...
Isn't he just the sweetest (oh and so is my dear friend Jodie, btw!)? It's true, you really do forget how tiny the brand new babies are...
...and I also met Nicole. I mentioned week before last that her blog pretty much set me on the path of exploration into this craziness! When I saw that she had a blog (as noted at the bottom of an email she sent about Jodie) I clicked over and now look at me. Here we are at our first IRL meeting yesterday at Jodie and Isaac's "Sip & See."
It was so nice to finally meet her in person. And thanks again Nicole for having that great list of blogs on yours so that I could branch out and discover this awesome community!
P.S. Don't forget to go enter the giveaway I have goin' on if you haven't already!
Sunday, September 21, 2008
We went out to a local Oktoberfest on Saturday and took in the beer, food and carnival and even some entertainment. It was fun but boy did it get hot quickly. Turns out Summer is hanging on just a little longer...
Love at first sight
Beer stein anyone?
In costume (don't know her but isn't she cute?)
I just like the colors in this one, how about you?
Ridin' the tea cups
Head on over to Lotus' place for more Weekly Winners.
Oh, and I have a giveaway going on for Tiny Prints. Go HERE to enter! : )
Friday, September 19, 2008
Go on over to Tiny Prints and check out their site. Here are links to some of their great invitations and cards!
Thursday, September 18, 2008
The rules for passing this honor on:
1) Pick 5 blogs that you would like to award this honor to.
So... I am cheating a little and only picking three "Oopsies." I am giving it to these ladies because they all make me laugh every time I go to their blogs and lately, that's worth A LOT!
I also have another award to be thankful for and it is from Kimberly over at The Gav Menagerie. She literally passed the love on to me. Thank you Kimberly - I am honored! I actually found her blog because her posts come up under my BlogHer ad and I am so glad I did because I like her writing a lot.
Classy Chaos - She's funny, she's heartwarming, she's nostalgic, she's real.
lifelong playdate - such a sweet blog dedicated to her darling daughter and being a mommy. (notice - no caps amanda!)
These Small Wonders - Jaimee is a talented photographer & she also has 2 boys! (plus we plan to meet soon since we live in the same area!)
Kami's Khlopchyk - Kami is truly a friend, even though we've yet to met IRL (I am confident it will happen some day). And I most certainly love her blog! : )
7 Clown Circus - I JUST found this blog but I already love it! It may have been love at first "sight" actually because Angie's blog is SO cute! Plus she hosts Wordful Wednesday which is SO much more up my alley! : )
What Works For Us - Cool photos & quick wit - it TOTALLY works!
Blairs Boys - Hannah has 2 boys also (no, not a prerequisite) and just has a great attitude about life. She also scrapbooks and I can go there for some ideas and inspiration!
Lastly, I also received this award from Tina at Golden Goodness but because I have gotten it before I am just going to mention how sweet Tina is to bestow this on me. Thanks Tina, you are such a sweet bloggy friend!
Phew! That's all for today folks.
But please come back tomorrow - I have a giveaway you don't want to miss!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
This post of hers reminded me of myself and my three brothers. I think I was around 2 years old in this picture so that would have made them 9, 14 and 12. And there's our dog Pepper at the bottom left.
The good ole days...
P.S. Come back THIS FRIDAY when I will have a GIVEAWAY! : )
For more Wordless Wednesday go here. For more "Wordful" Wednesday go to Angie's place, SevenClownCircus!
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
So after I dropped the car off and got my rental mini-van (that apprently I will now be quite attached to at the end of the month) I went to work out (yay! good for me!) When I got home I realized that I had left my garage door opener in the smashed up car and since I didn't have a house key, I was locked out of my house.
Yes folks, it only got better...
That is when I started cursing my own name for actually locking every door to the house, even the back one. I decided that maybe there was a window open somewhere. See, I would have simply driven back to the collision place but I had just made a lunch date with a friend and needed a shower in a MAJOR way. So unlocked-window-hunting I went. Turns out one of our bedroom windows that is low to the ground remained unlocked. (And yes all you potential theives out there - it is now locked so don't even think about it!) I bet I was quite the sight crawling through my own doggone window, all sweaty and smelly.
I did manage to retreive the GDO right before I met my friend for lunch. Phew!
And just so you know, all this was going on while all the kids were at school. If it had been with kids I might of just had to check out of life for the rest of the day.
Oh and then on Friday I went to get something out of the back of